Skin boosters or micro fillers are a ‘thin’ dermal filler that’s injected into the superficial layers of the skin for improvement in hydration, skin tone and elasticity, and softening of fine lines and wrinkles. Skin boosters contain a high concentration of natural acids and glycerol and when injected into the skin, attract water and act as an ‘internal moisturiser’ while also stimulating collagen.
Skin boosters are an increasingly popular treatment due to their immediate effect on improving the skins hydration. Whilst a single treatment will deliver moisture to the skin, a course of treatments is recommended to see noticeable and sustained changes to collagen density and subsequent improvement in skin elasticity and fine lines.
WHAT IS INVOLVED IN THE TREATMENT?
A series of micro-injections are made into the superficial dermis of the treated area. Our Doctors use a 5 or 9 point needle tip ‘gun’ for delivery of the skin boosters into the skin. The treatment is relatively comfortable and takes around 20-30 minutes depending on the size of the area to be treated. This treatment has the added advantage of delivering a skin needling treatment as well as the benefit of the skin boosters.
We offer topical numbing cream and nitrous oxide gas is available if required.
HOW DO SKIN BOOSTERS WORK?
Skin boosting work by delivering a mix of natural acids and glycerol to the dermal layer of the skin. The natural acids attract water to improve the internal hydration of the skin. The natural acids in the filler also stimulate fibroblasts (cells) to produce new collagen and elastin.
Skin boosters work to:
- Assist the skin to retain water which results in plump hydrated skin
- Stimulate collagen which can increase skin thickness and volume (course of treatments required)
- Stimulate elastin which can increase the elasticity of the skin
- Improvement in skin texture and fine lines
WHO IS SUITABLE FOR SKIN BOOSTERS?
Most people are suitable for skin boosters (breastfeeding and pregnant woman are not suitable, other exclusions apply dependent on medical history) who are looking to treat:
- Tired, dehydrated skin, lack of skin tension
- Signs of aging such as fine lines, wrinkles
- Younger people with dehydrated skin looking to improve hydration and preserve collagen and elastin as they age
- Older people with more advanced signs of ageing looking to improve skin hydration and restore collagen and elastin. Skin boosters may be combined with other treatments such as laser, radiofrequency, and dermal fillers for a more complete facial rejuvenation
CAN SKIN BOOSTERS BE USED IN PLACE OF DERMAL FILLERS TO IMPROVE FACIAL VOLUME?
This depends on the area you are looking to treat and the amount of volume you are looking to restore in the area. Although skin boosters will help restore facial volume lost through the process of ageing by hydrating and plumping the skin, they best used in conjunction with volumising dermal fillers for a more complete facial rejuvenation, particularly for clients with more advanced signs of ageing. Clients with more moderate signs of ageing (such as dehydration) without significant signs of ageing, minor facial fat loss, minor skin laxity and fine lines, may opt for a course of skin booster treatments without the need for volumising dermal fillers.
WHAT AREAS OF THE FACE AND BODY CAN BE TREATED?
Any area of the face and body can be treated with skin boosters. The face, eyes, neck, décolletage, hands and chest are the most common treatment areas.
HOW OFTEN DOES IT NEED TO BE PERFORMED TO SEE RESULTS AND HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?
This depends on the extent of ageing in the treated area. Typically a course of 3 treatments is recommended 2-4 weeks apart. As a guide, maintenance treatments are recommended as follows:
≤ 35 years old – booster injections every 12–24 months
36–45 years old booster injections every 9–12 months, then yearly
45-60 years old booster injections every 6 months, then yearly
≥ 60 years old booster injections every 3, 6 and 18 months
ARE THERE ANY SIDE EFFECTS?
Side effects are mainly small swollen bumps under the skin for up to 3-4 days. More extensive swelling is possible in the treated area but not common. Pin point bruising is possible due to the number of injections administered to the area but bruising is generally minor and not tender.
HOW LONG UNTIL YOU CAN SEE THE RESULTS?
Skin boosters are recommended in a course of 3 treatments 2-4 weeks apart for maximum benefit. Improved hydration to the skin can be seen with 3-7 days. New collagen and elastin production take longer. For clients with minor or moderate signs of ageing, results can be seen in 4-6 weeks. In clients with more advanced signs of ageing visible results may take up to 12 weeks.
CAN SKIN BOOSTERS BE COMBINED WITH OTHER TREATMENT?
Combining skin boosters with other treatments is more beneficial than skin boosters alone
- Anti wrinkle injections can be used in combination with skin boosters for more intensive treatment of fine lines and wrinkles
- Dermal fillers may be used in combination with skin boosters to replenish facial volume
- A course of laser treatments can be combined with skin boosters to improve skin thickness, skin texture, pigment, deeper lines & wrinkles, refine pore size and treat redness in the skin. We recommend combining skin boosters with PicoWay Resolve laser treatments for more complete sustained rejuvenation.
PER TREATMENT (full face, typically up to 3ml) $650
PER ADDITIONAL 1ml $380
COURSE OF 3 TREATMENTS (recommended) $1800
Each treatment is full face, 3ml of skin booster is used per treatment (skin boosters are a schedule 4 pharmaceutical so by law, can not be named. Please contact the clinic for more details)
Other areas, price on consultation